Re: classes?

On Oct 22, 2005, at 11:09 PM, List for Photo/Imaging Educators - Professionals - Students wrote:

Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2005 10:01:56 -0700
From: Marilyn <marilyn@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: classes?

Hi All,

I've been considering offering a second class in photography where I instruct a beginning photographers' class. I'd like to instruct a course on being a photographer. Not a business oriented class, or an equipment oriented class, but a class about what goes into the thinking process of being a photographer.

I am a lurker on this list, and have been for a *long* time. But, I recently retired from university teaching of photography.

I can only relate "how" I taught my classes in photography (and I hope it is clear).

I emphasized the "making" of a photograph over the "taking" of a photograph. I taught the technical aspects of photography along with the ability to "see" rather than to "look". Assignments were given on a subject matter (portraiture, action, nature, etc.). Each assignment isolated (but not really!) one technical aspect (aperture, shutter, etc.) along with subject matter.

I gave assignments with a slide presentation of other photographer's work from the different fields of photography (fine art, advertising, commercial, journalistic) that related to that what the student was to photograph. We talked about intent, pre-visualization, post- visualization, personal vision, illusion and truth. I included snippets from the history of photography also, especially as it related to the changes in imagery due to technical developments.

I required students to read about the history, technical aspects and the critique of photographic imagery.

And I talked about the magic and power of photography.

For me, the teaching of photography was a different kind of work from me making a photograph (my own work), but I had to know what I was doing before I could teach others.

Obviously, I thought that what I was doing as a photographer was important enough to teach the students the same thing. ;-)

The one thing that I was taught that I tried to teach to every student was a love of the art.

I hope it helps you.

Now, back to lurking!

Belinda