From: R V
Sent: Wednesday, October 19, 2005 5:16 PM
Subject: [Norton AntiSpam] Re: here's one for the consipacy theorists!

I guess if you don't see the potential for an invasion of your privacy here, you live in a perfect world of your own and I envy you.  :-)
And, of course, we have this wonderful administration in the "Land of the Free" that the good Lord himself has  blessedly chosen to have us elect, who would never stoop to abuse their powers.
Renate

On 10/19/05, Bob Maxey <written_by@xxxxxxx> wrote:

>>>Secret Code in Color Printers Lets Government Track You

Tiny Dots Show Where and When You Made Your Print

San Francisco - A research team led by the Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) recently broke the code behind tiny tracking dots that some color laser printers secretly hide in every document.

The U.S. Secret Service admitted that the tracking information is part of a deal struck with selected color laser printer manufacturers, ostensibly to identify counterfeiters. However, the nature of the private information encoded in each document was not previously known.

"We've found that the dots from at least one line of printers encode the date and time your document was printed, as well as the serial number of the printer," said EFF Staff Technologist Seth David Schoen.>>>

-----------------

I read the article. I read it again. My problem with the piece and your post is this: The headline says these nefarious tiny dots can show where and when you made the print. That would require a GPS system or some sort of radio magic satellite uplink, would it not? The title of the piece is misleading. The dots might show a date or a printer serial number and model, but probably not the location of the printer. And I might ask how will the government's knowledge of that info impact decent folks like Bob and you and the rest of the list?

To put it in layman's terms, So Freaking What?

I am not sure that the required technology (to know our exact printer location, that is) is built into every printer on the market or will it be included. As I read the article, "They" know where I was when I made a print. I doubt this is true, but I have not looked at my printer or the PCB and the components. I am sure, however, that my three-year-old laser jet contains a tiny video recorder and sat uplink because that would explain why I am being followed. I am certain it is "them." I would not put it past the gubberment to want to know all about me.

The article says, "We've found that the dots from at least one line of printers encode the date and time your document was printed, as well as the serial number of the printer," said EFF Staff Technologist Seth David Schoen." My God man... the next thing they will track is what fonts you use and their size.

I have loads of printers and if the government wants to know that Bob Maxey printed three pages at seven oh four AM, I say, let them have at it. From now on, I will buy my printers off the back of a Ford PU truck and no way will I register it so they will know.

The article says, "Underground democracy movements that produce political or religious pamphlets and flyers, like the Russian samizdat of the 1980s, will always need the anonymity of simple paper documents, but this technology makes it easier for governments to find dissenters," said EFF Senior Staff Attorney Lee Tien. "Even worse, it shows how the government and private industry make backroom deals to weaken our privacy by compromising everyday equipment like printers. The logical next question is: what other deals have been or are being made to ensure that our technology rats on us?"

Fact is, these markings (if they exist) were hinted at some time ago. I was as frightened then, as I am now. So the phrase "backroom deals" is rather misleading. Hey EFF get a clue: You ain't smart enough to know of every nefarious deal "they" make with "them" to get "us." You know, us gun loving, right wing republican conservatives. The government might be after a few of us, but not without cause. And a warrant. If anyone thinks this is a big deal, they should reconsider their meds and look into a MRI or twelve.

If you read articles (one of them) at the end of the links, you will note that the writer says the marks are there, but he goes on to say we do not actually know what these dots might mean in all cases. They say that they have confirmed this and that, or they might be markings signifying nothing. They attribute some of the dots they see to (perhaps) poor dithering. I am not saying they do not exist because they do. What bothers me is how much is being made of nothing.

What we think we know for sure but are not sure we actually know is this: your printer talks to the government using some sort of GPS location device slash radio. The printer tells them that from this printer model, some stuff was printed on such and such a date. The EFF suggest that they do not know for sure, but they are on the case.

The bottom line is this: the vast majority of us have little to fear unless we are troublemakers representing a possible threat. If some folks are bad, they will know about these dots and take steps to deal with the "problem." The Government will not abuse the technology as much as we fear regardless of the hype powered BS we read about on the WWW. And if they wanted you, you would already be in custody.

Bob

"If I were to wish for anything, I should not wish for wealth and power, but for the passionate sense of the potential, for the eye which, ever young and ardent, sees the possible. Pleasure disappoints, possibility never. And what wine is so sparkling, what so fragrant, what so intoxicating, as possibility!"

- Soren Kierkegaard

http://www.imagesbyrenate.com  -