Sent: Monday, October 17, 2005 7:43 AM
Subject: Re: Dark Images

On 10/17/05 9:19 AM, "Terry" <terry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

am assuming these images are either jpg. or tiff. files, the first thing I
would do is use the Levels control and move the sliders in to where the
histogram starts, assuming there is clipping

Don't you mean assuming there is NO clipping?  As general rule I'd steer
away from the brightness/contrast adjustment.  Particularly the contrast
slider. It's clearly among the most crude adjustment tools in PS, right up there with dodge/burn tool. As you suggest, adjusting the the endpoints and gamma using levels or curves(my choice) is a much better way to go. You can
do this using an adjustment layer and paint in changes using a mask that
will allow tremendous control.

Lawrence

Lawrence Smith Photography
http://www.lwsphoto.com