Re: file share vs tape as gift

karl shah-jenner <shahjen@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> the law has deviated a lot from the concept of natural justice - take theft
> for example.
>
> I steal something from someone, I now have it and *they do not*.
>
> I copy something, they still have it - and now I have it too!
>
> Copyright law and the like came about from a collusion of interested
> parties who wanted to ensure that they could be the ONLY people to
> own a given thing.

Copyright law comes from a recognition that the publishing industry
and especially the people who create the original product published
are valuable to society, and that creating financial incentives for
creation by making it possible for creators to benefit from the sale
of their work would be a good way to encourage this valuable
activity.

Authors certainly don't want to be the *only* people to own copies of
their works, so I think you've missed the essence there.