Re: file share vs tape as gift

Shyrell Melara <shyrellmelara@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> [...]

We need to separate the law and "what we think the law should be" and
still a third thing, "what we think is *right*"  (I don't think the
law should try to ban absolutely everything that isn't perfectly
righteous; sometimes there's too much collateral damage.)

I'm talking solely about the last, what *I* think is "right", in the
next three paragraphs.  Often in terms of relative benefit rather than
absolute and simple "yes" and "no".

I see two important differences between making a file available
publicly in a file-sharing network and making a tape (or CD) to hand
to a friend.

Number one, making a tape to hand to a friend is me pushing something
on them that they probably weren't actively looking for previously,
whereas on a file-sharing network the other guy has to go out looking
for the work.  It's not crazy to argue that my pushing an artist/work
on a friend is much more likely to result in future sales for the
artist than somebody going out looking for it on file-share.  Or, to
put it another way, if somebody is actively looking for the work, it
seems somewhat likely that he might be an actual possible customer,
that an actual sale might be lost when he finds the work on a
file-share network.

Number two, my pushing mix tapes on friends is much smaller-scale and
more manual than making the file available to anybody in the whole
world who looks for it.  Thus my decision to make the mix tape seems
to have much smaller consequences for the overall financial picture of
that work.

In current legal terms, they seem to me equally illegal, but I'm not a
lawyer.  And I don't consider the current laws automatically
definitive on what's "right", of course (does anybody?).

I think a lot of the recent movement in copyright law, to extend terms
and restrict more and more what rights people have with a copy of
something they have purchased, are bad public policy, not to the
overall benefit of society and not to the benefit of the creative
people who actually produce works of art (in addition to
photographers, I know many authors including the one I'm married to,
and quite a few musicians), but only to the benefits of corporations
holding old rights.

Note that I have avoided saying what I think the law "should" be; I
don't think I have any good clean magic solution.  As one point, I'd
like to greatly cut back the term of copyright, at the very least back
to the previous-world-standard of life+50, but I'd really prefer to
cut it back further to say life+25.  Or I can see lots of arguments
for a complete revamp of the system along completely different
principles, but revolutionary change is always extremely disruptive
and controversial; and I don't have a particular revolutionary idea
driving me.