Re: ExpoDisc: Overpriced gadget for suckers?

Funny thing about the ExpoDisc is that it was originally sold as a way to get correct exposures (hence the name, a contraction of Exposure + Disc). Somehow with the advent of the digital age it became a white balancing tool.

Yes, for white balancing I think it's a highly overpriced piece of unnecessary gadgetry. A sheet of white paper will do the same job just fine, thank you, and I usually have one about somewhere in my camera bag, or I can find one easily, if necessary. I could buy a lot of white paper for $139.

As a tool for determining the correct shutter and aperture combination the E-Disc may have more value, but I have one of those odd devices called a "light meter." That's a separate hand-held device which actually reads the amount of light in the scene I'm planning to photograph. If, that is, the camera I'm using can't handle the situation with its built-in meter, or doesn't have a meter inside.

The $139 could be better spent as a down-payment on an iPod, which is more functional and can also serve as a white-balancing tool.

Cheers,

Rich Mason

http://richmason.com