Re: ExpoDisc: Overpriced gadget for suckers?

On 10/12/05 5:16 PM, "Tina Manley" <images@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Read the book.  Adobe Camera Raw is the best converter when you learn
> how to use it.
>
> Tina
>
> Tina Manley, ASMP
> http://www.tinamanley.com
> http://www.pbase.com/tinamanley/guatemala_2005

If I might jump in here I'd like to add that I have read the book and I do
use it but to say it's 'Best' is going a long way out on a very subjective
limb.  I use C1, DPP and ACR on a regular basis and each has its strengths
and weaknesses.  I prefer the color rendering of DPP for skin tones. The
workflow and tethered shooting of C1 along with Magnes profiles is a combo
that¹s tough to beat.  ACR's tight integration with PS is great and for
certain types of images it is the tool of choice.

The workflow/RAW converter requirements of a landscape photographer are
vastly different than a location lifestyle shooter or a wedding person or
someone who shoots tethered in the studio.  I personally shoot location
editorial portraiture/lifestyle for magazines and do tethered work in my
studio.  These different types of shooting require different capabilities
and there really is no perfect 'one size fits all' solution.  For me the
tool that gets the most use is PhaseOne's Capture One but others find it
befuddling.

As for getting back to the discussion at hand about RAW files.  Creating a
custom WB is a great way to go provided that your RAW converter can actually
utilize it.  You can always just shoot a gretag-mcbeth color chart in each
new lighting and use that to set your WB later in the processor.  Different
strokes...

Lawrence

Lawrence Smith Photography
http://www.lwsphoto.com