digital sensors failing

Canon have announced that some of the Sony manufactured CCDs used in some
of their consumer digicams and videocams may fail under conditions of
high temperature and humidity. The symptoms are no image or a distorted
image.

affected models
Digital cameras
PowerShot A60, PowerShot A70, PowerShot A75, PowerShot A300, PowerShot
A310, Digital IXUS V3, Digital IXUS II, Digital IXUS IIs

Digital video cameras
MV600i, MV630i, MV650i, MV700i, MV730i, MV750i, MV5i, MV5i MC, MV6i MC
ZR60, ZR65 MC, ZR70 MC, ZR80, ZR85, ZR90, Elura 40 MC, Elura 50.

More information is available on the  Canon-Asia website
http://www.canon-asia.com/index.jsp?fuseaction=image-phenomena_notice

Nikon cameras that use SONY sensors (D100's and others) have also been
failing but I haven't heard whether Nikon has put out an advisory notice
yet.

Sony meanwhile has issued the following:
"In our efforts to ensure customer satisfaction, Sony will offer free out
of
warranty repair to the owners of applicable products exhibiting the
above-mentioned condition caused by the image sensor device."