Re: PF Exhibits on 01 OCT 05 - Aside

At 12:54 PM +0900 10/3/05, James B. Davis wrote:
Only problem with 2:3 is getting an enlargement and then finding a
frame to fit...

4x6 is the standard print size at this point. It's when things get larger that's the problem.

I print 5x7.5s at home and have a mat custom cut by the 24s to fit, and get 8x12s from the Fuji machine at Wal*Mart. The Fuji machine is pretty widely available at a whole range of places. Only in the last month, however, did they change their software so that 8x12 is one of the choices available at the machine. Previously it was a custom choice and one had to ask for it from the technician.

Having only shot with 35mm for the last 45 years I have learned to compose within that space without thinking about cropping.

As for frames, the most common solution seems to be to cut the outside of the mat to one of the standard frame sizes. My 5x7.5 go in an 11x14 frame. My larger prints, however, go into a 13x17 frame, not available at K-Mart, Wal*Mart, wherever. Also I buy Itoya portfolio books which are 8x12 at art supply stores.
--
Emily L. Ferguson
mailto:elf@xxxxxxxx 508-563-6822 New England landscapes, wooden boats and races, press photography http://www.vsu.cape.com/~elf/