OT - SmartDisk Flash Trax

14 months ago I bought a 20Gb FlashTrax ( portable hard drive with screen and CF card reader )
 A month ago, a day before going to Bosnia, I found that the device is not working any more.
To my fortune my primary camera is still a film camera.
When I came back I tried to fix it by myself according to instructions in the company web site.
I also bought a card reader for this mission. ( the idea was to upload an operating system via a CF card to the FlashTrax ).
After a while I realized that I have more severe problem that I can't solve by myself.
I sent an e-mail to the company with the problem details and asked them to include the repair in the one year warranty
although it passed two months before.
I also explained that the problem occurred only one month after the end of the year.
They replied that if it was a week after it was OK but now, after two months, I have to pay for it + delivery.
They can't tell me the cost until the device will be in their hands.

What do you think about this ?

On the other hand, I upgraded a GlobalSoft software ( Cute FTP ) for ~$20.
A day after I got a mail with suggestion to do it for only ~$10.
I e-mailed my frustration to them. After several houres I got an answer that a refund has been processed to my credit card account !