Re: water and compact flash cards

I accidentally laundered a CF card once--the full wash cycle, but fortunately I discovered it before drying. I dried it as thoroughly as possible without breaking it open and then let it sit out for a week where the air could circulate around it. I happened to be in a climate that was hot, with very low humidity at the time. When I put it in a camera it worked fine, and has since. Note that it wasn't a microdrive card, which might make a difference due to the moving parts.

But, you spilled tonic water, which contains quinine and possibly other ingredients--you might want to check the label. Quinine is an alkaloid, but I have no idea how that may apply in your situation. It may be good to rinse the card with distilled water before drying it.

I learned that tonic water (quinine) is fluorescent under ultraviolet (black) lighting. Might make an interesting photo project for someone.

Cheers,

Rich

http://richmason.com