Re: photogravure - photoshop trickery ? ;)

from a related page:

"Much controversy arose at this exhibition at the Silver Medal being
awarded to a composition print - i.e. one made from more than one negative.

Francis Bedford, himself the winner of  Bronze Medal for his Landscapes,
wrote:

"I have much pleasure in acknowledging the receipt of the Medal which has
just reached me.  Had I been aware before-hand that the Silver medal would
be awarded for a composition landscape, I could have made up and sent in a
View of Jerusalem from two negatives which would, I think, have been
interesting, but I was under the impression that such photographs were
ineligible for prizes.

 I need not remind you that a landscape taken upon one plate compares
rather disadvantageously with another taken from two negatives, embracing
respectively a much larger angle of view."
 [Letter:  Francis Bedford to PSS  25/2/1864]

http://www.edinphoto.org.uk/3/3_pss_exhibitions_8th_feb_1864.htm