question about video on a web site

I have created a web site of a client and the opening page contains a video that is in swf format; it takes about 10 seconds to begin loading which is much longer than the client or I would like. I did not build the video, I simply put it into the site.

My question is this: is is possible to compress a video similar to how an image can be 'saved for web' using Adobe Image Ready? What software is used to do this and what format would it then be saved in?

Thanks for any info regarding this somewhat off-topic question.
Lea

www.whinydogpress.com