Re: film processing chemicals - Tropical Developing

I seem to reall adding alcohol to chemicals in high temperatures in RVN when the AC failed.

Bill

-----Original Message-----
From: Bob Maxey <written_by@xxxxxxx>
Sent: Aug 17, 2005 3:36 PM
To:
	List for Photo/Imaging Educators - Professionals - Students <photoforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: film processing chemicals - Tropical Developing

> Here in the southern California desert cold water coming from the
> tap is sometimes 85 degrees. This is /hot/ for processing black and
> white film and the times/temperatures on the back of the chemical
> bottles only go up to the temperature of 75 degrees. Is there a
> formula for figuring adjustments for processing film in warmer
> water? I can cool water down by adding cold water >from a water
> cooler, but I need such large amounts of water to process film, that
> this becomes difficult.

I just found some basic information from Kodak describing high temp processing. Up to 95 degrees, depending on the developer. For example, DK-15 / DK-15a will work up to 95 degrees F. Somewhere, I have a Tropical Processing dataguide. I'll see if I can find it.

Unfortunately, Kodak no longer offers Tropical Developers and additives like special hardeners. If you can mix your own chemicals, I have some Kodak formulas. If you are interested.

D-11, D-19, D-61a, D-76, DK-50, DK-60a, and D-72 can be used at higher temperatures (From 75-90 degrees F) if you add some sodium sulfate. By the way, you can go as high as 95 degrees F.

Bud Shipler at Shipler Photo was a navy lab man and he would occasionally talk about tropical developing and washing in sea water because that is all they had. High tempersture processing is not impossible, jusr proceed with care.

You must wash no longer than 15 minutes and all stop/fix must be within 5 degrees of your developer temp.

Certainly not a big problem.

Bob
.. Get more from the Web.  FREE MSN Explorer download : http://explorer.msn.com