Re: Minilab wont read some images on CD

I've been printing from both platforms for 4 years now. The Frontier machine, if it's going to use tiffs, used to want the CD in ISO 9660 format which you can create by honoring the 8+3 naming rule and then assembling a folder and burning it from Toast. With Toast on my Mac running 10.3 I can add files to the CD if I use 9660 and 8+3. as well

If I use the mixed format choice the Fuji machines read the tiffs just fine but I cannot add files. Renaming is a pain and creating names for the files that say something about what they are with only 8+3 is getting to be a trick. Since a CD with the mixed format will display the thumbnail in the Mac directory and the 8+3 displays only a generic icon I have been creating full folders lately and burning them in mixed format as tiffs for printing at Wally Wal*Mart.

As for jpegging, PS allows a big range of loss, from level 1 to 12. The initial jpegging is going to lose something but opening and closing from then on does not discard more each time unless you change the file, which the Frontier machine of course isn't going to do, since it's only reading the file. So there's no reason not to jpeg really - except for that initial loss.

I can't imagine what Kosta is talking about with cleaning up from jpegging. One does always keep a backup of the original captures, and another of the original corrected files, doesn't one? Jpegging does no harm to the computer, its operating system, Photoshop or the original properly backed up tiff file. Even iView will tell you where the originals are in you box of CDs, so locating them should not be too difficult.

Always back up your corrected files. Always work from them if you have a new project or need the image in a special format for a special purpose.

I keep a folder of jpegs on my hard drive for emailing and reference. Every processed image gets jpegged as the final step after saving as tiff, and the jpeg gets put in its appropriate place in the jpeg folder structure - by subject mostly. I name the files so that their names mean something about the image, taking advantage of the Mac's capacity to allow me real naming space. Alphanumeric naming systems are too unspecific for my taste. Two F keys on my keyboard run PS actions for the jpegging - one for vert, the other for horizont.

Our computers train us to be organized since they're so literal minded. But I've never seen a computer do harm to a file except the terrible time when the hard disc crashed on my Performa. After than I stopped procrastinating on the back ups to a remote medium.
--
Emily L. Ferguson
mailto:elf@xxxxxxxx