Re: landscape photography

Hello,
I am into landscape photography, but only black and white. I have documented a number of hints on my website (www.blackandwhitegallery.de, how-to section), maybe your student can find something useful there.

As for the equipment:
- film camera is fine, even small format. Medium format is better, large format even better. I am just about to find out how much better, the biggest pluses are ability to forward-tilt the lens and the option to develop each picture differently. These are major quality improvements. If your student wants to make an investment in equipment: look for these used Graflex large formats on Ebay. That is a good start for large format, not expensive either.
- A tripod is a must: you want to use small apertures. Also, landscape photography often calls for lowlight situations (daybreak / sunset), the contrasts are much better then. This means long exposure times.
- As for lenses: telephoto lenses are the ones I use the least for landscapes, normal lenses and wide angle are much more useful for landscape subjects. I shoot about 80% of my pictures with a 50mm and a 28mm lens (for 35mm format, for medium format the equivalents are 90mm/50mm, for large format it is 150mm/90mm).
- Filters: for black and white, you are good for most situations with a yellow and a medium red filter. In the beginning I was using filters a lot but these days I use them only occasionally.

Thomas