Sent: Wednesday, July 06, 2005 3:28 PM
Subject: Mac v. PC

Uh oh, here we go again....
RAW v. TIFF v. jpg
16 bit v. 8 bit
Digital v. analogue
PC v. MAC
Linux v. Windows (come on someone!)

My rules of thumb:

   * A crap photo is a crap photo whether on film or digital
   * A crap photo on a Mac is a crap photo on a PC (and vice versa)
   * A crap photo in RAW format = a crap photo in jpg format
   * etc.

You can, of course, replace the word crap by "brilliant"...
The phrase "Horses for courses" comes to mind.
Yes, RAW is great, but so is the beer waiting for me down the pub!

I also thought long and hard about the PC v. Mac debate.
I have a PC with all the software I need. It works. It rarely crashes unless I try to make it run 5 programs simultaneously...(The inkjet prints i get aren't quite perfect - but only I know what the original looked like.)

Mac software is expensive, I'm not a pro so can't recoup my money in improved business / fees. How can I afford to buy in yet another copy of Photoshop? Is the GIMP available for MACS?

And then my colleague, a graphic designer of many years standing tells me "Macs never crash: buy a MAC" but the next day he comes in and says "My Mac crashed last night and I lost all my work" And shortly after he borrows my card reader to download some images and comes back and says "My Mac wouldn't recognise the card reader". But I plug it straight into my battered old under powered laptop with XP Pro and the card reader works fine.

I'll stick to my PC thank you (but I might try Linux in the summer holidays!)
If I had a MAC I'd stick to my MAC.

Work with what you've got - does spending another £1500 ($2000 +) mean a major, significant improvement in your work? If it really does, go for it, but I doubt it unless you are a full-time pro!

Howard