Sent: Tuesday, July 05, 2005 10:26 AM
Subject: Re: 8 bit and 16 bit and 32 bit

Hi Terry,
I used to believe the same thing and I found out there was this huge debate about it so I did several tests and found I could not distinguish between a file that was worked all the way in 8-bit and a file that was worked in 16-bit and converted to 8 bit at the end. I'm talking sharpening, levels and curves, hue and saturation. even cropping.

Now I save the raw images as 8 bit (Of course I keep the raw files for when I can work in 16 bit all the way.

If you get a moment test it

herschel
Terry <terry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
That's not exactly correct.
If you have a lot of work to do on an image and the output is going to be 8 bit you are still better off to work on it in a higher bit depth, when you take it back down to 8 bits you will not loose nearly as much information on the image as if you had worked on it in 8 bit to begin with.

Still not convinced about DNG!
Terry L. Mair
Mair's Photography
158 South 580 East