Re: Phoshop questions

You mask by using the black ink and you get it back by using the white ink
herschel

Achal Pashine <achalpashine@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Bob and everybody,
thanks for lots of suggestions.
I have put a jpeg quality source shot at http://photos.yahoo.com/achalpashine in the album "for photoforum".
The problem area during extraction is the boundary of hair and background, as you can notice the hair of the subject is very curly as well as have delicate hair strands (not very visible in jpeg) that stand against the background. To extract this subject to change the background without loosing hair details (repeating the question for Emily) is a problem.
Not that I want to change the background to ghastly green (as shown in PF3 image in the same folder) but you can see that the extraction process followed by a background on a new layer creates the hair/background interface very uninteresting and will look very unnatural upon blowing up.
Problem with a creating mask, that I do not understand well, is how to "get back" the pockets of background in the in betweens of the hair area (as you will notice, you can see background in between hair curls.
Thanks for your input so far, but please give a little bit more detailed instructions if possible.
Achal

On 6/16/05, Bob Talbot <BobTalbot@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I shot a portrait of a subject on a nicely illuminated white
background.
> Now, I want to extract it to replace the real background with a
digital one.

Achal

Can you post a reasonable quality version of the source shot? (or at
least a crop of the problem area)
I'd be interested to see ...

Bob

--