Re: Phoshop questions

Hi Achal,
This is a tough one and there's no quick "n easy solution. The real answer lies in how you shoot. If your shooting something and you know you're goint to to drop out/knock out/deep-etch the image into another background, you need to shoot against a background of similar colour and brightness.
Your problem is that, because you shot against a bright-white background, each strand of hair has a white high light reflection around its edge. So if you try to place it against a dark background or almost any background that isn't very bright, you'll have a mountain of work to do in order to change those white high lights
However all is not lost.

 I have 2 suggestions:

1. send the images to me and I'll do the job for a paltry $ 150.00 (That's the kind of work I do a lot of for photographers.)

OR

2. follow these simple instructions and you can do all that work yourself.

The wonderful thing about Photoshop is that there are always 200 ways to do anything and maybe even more for what you need to do. Usually I'd use quite a few different techniques by the time the job's done.

I suggest working with a layer mask.

That being said, It may be quicker to reshoot against a more appropriate background.

Good luck.
BTW, You can email me small images (600X800) or so and If you give me a little time, I can make a pretty decent mask and email it back to you. You can then re-size that mask and use it to make your own.It may need a little work once you resize it (No charge on the first job OK.) :-)

Achal Pashine <achalpashine@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Dear all, I have a photoshop related question.
I shot a portrait of a subject on a nicely illuminated white background. Now, I want to extract it to replace the real background with a digital one. Despite homogenous whilte background, I am having a very hard time to extract the subject using the 'extract' filter in PS. This is especially because the hair details are lost. Since this will be blown to at least 8X10 size (if not more), I want to be very sure that the hair details look normal. I tried to use a history brush after the extraction procedure, but it leads to regaining of some white background (everything else is transperent).
So the question is: does anybody here have a tip for me to accomplish this task. Any URL etc would help too. Someone suggested me to make masks to extract, will somebody shade more light on that, if they have experience.
Thanks for any help,
Achal

Herschel Mair
Head of the Department of Photography,