Re: I will-you could have! ; )

Bob Talbot <BobTalbot@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

>> Some consumer P&S digital cameras focus slowly still, I'm sure, but
>> the serious ones are exactly as responsive as the film bodies --
>
> David
>
> I'm too bone idle to google :o)
>
> Are they as responsive as my EOS 1n RS in Real Time mode?

Dunno, never owned Canon equipment.  Probably not; you really need the
separate phase-based autofocus sensors to get fast focusing, and that
eliminates all the P&S models.  And the mirror moving out of the way
takes time, which gives the 1n RS an advantage over any body they've
made a digital from that I can remember.

> That little mother has almost no delay - apart from the link between
> my eye-brain and finger :o)

On the other hand, I haven't found the objectively higher delay in an
SLR to give me worse results than I got with a Leica M3.

>> However, for macro work, you'll find they get noticeably more depth
>> of field (for the 1.5x crop-factor family), and you'll find you can
>> run ISO 400 with better results than ISO 400 film produces, so you
>> can use a smaller aperture or higher shutter speed than with film.

> The "greater depth of field" thing is true - but worthy of a whole
> thread on its own. Depth of field does improve with reducing  focal
> length - but so does the reduction of scale of the things in the
> background.

Since it's the big bugaboo of macro work, I thought it was worth
mentioning.

> It confuses me how digital processing has managed to do away with the
> diffraction problems associated with small apertures / high
> magnifications on film.  I can't work out the physics myself.

It doesn't, of course.

>> And, because the shots cost nothing, and because you
>> can check in the field exactly what you got, you can also get
>> difficult shots that require "luck" *and know you got them*.
> We're into the fixed and variable costing stuff.
>
> True: apart from battery power and the aggro of carrying enough
> power around with you there's almost "no cost per shot" beyond the
> hardware/software upgrade costs.  That's a good thing!  At the end
> of the year though, for most of us if you divide the numbers of
> keepers by the cost (bearing in mind film users have to learn to
> take less shots) ratio is - possibly - quite different.

Spray and pray isn't a sensible photographic approach, I think you and
I at least agree.  However, carefully constructing a situation where
you have a one in 7 chance of getting an otherwise-impossible photo to
work, and then repeating the scenario until you get it, seems to me
entirely sensible.  Knowing for sure when you *have* gotten it makes
the process much more secure.

Pretty much all the great photojournalists brought back LOTS more film
than was eventually published (with a considerable ratio between them,
too; some shot a lot more than others).  I think every single one of
them would have said they'd return less-good pictures on the average
if you rationed them to half their usual amount of film.

The ability to shoot *lots*, and the ability to see what you have
accomplished in the field, are valuable to good photographers.  If you
want to argue that they can *also* lead less-good photographers down
the garden path, essentially into spray-and-pray, I won't argue
against it.  That exact argument was made against 35mm photographers
by press-camera photographers, some years back.  But today, I don't
think anybody would claim that press-camera photographers turned out
generally better shots than 35mm photographers did.

> I guess there is no-one forcing you to upgrade every 18 months
> (Canon's current release cycle) - but until the day we get a stable
> technology (just after hell freezes over) new will always be better.

Since 1969, when I bought my first SLR, I've *never* had the best
camera made.  I'm managing to crawl along just fine with a digital
that isn't the best one currently made.

(No, I don't think it's always obvious what the "best" camera made has
been; but the ones I've had have clearly never been it.  An M3
arguably *was* the best camera made when new -- but I owned mine
starting in 1973).