Sent: Tuesday, May 17, 2005 12:24 AM
Subject: PF Exhibits on 14 MAY 2005

Greetings from Norfolk, UK

Another interesting batch of photographs.

Museki Abe - Goshikinuma        A very nicekly toned picture, having a very restful atmosphere, and calling up the idea of Japan. There is good detail in the trees, and the various items on the jetty (infront of the boats) breaks up what would otherwise be a dull area.
The red/brown tree to the right of the boats has a nice delicate quality to it, and comes forward to give the picture depth
The water looks wet, but could possibly be improved with a few (more) ripples to break up and add interest to the area to the left of the boats.

Veli Cigirgan - Nedret        A great portrait of the lady, the head scarf and other clothing is nicely presented, and the hands setting the scarf give interest.  Whilst the glasses tend to loose the detail of the eyse, this is not total, and the effect is very good, with the front eye adequately shown.  The background is well out of focus, but sufficiently detailed as to give an impression of a (maybe) middle eastern town.

Jim Davis - Lake Cowichan Inhabitant        I like the picture of the floating? chalet, presumably moored to the group of tree piles.  The canada Goose on the top of the mooring is a little too small for my likeing, and tends to disappear into the background.
What is the flying 'thing' on the right of the chalet, apparently attached tothe roof of the hut ?
The white line of surf/rope/what which goes from the left edge to the chalet, and then from the chalet to the right edge is somewhat disturbing, it cuts the picture into two which is not needed, subdueing this would improve the picture a lot.

Greg Fraser - Submersion        Technically, very good, but not my kind of picture, so will not comment - it would be far too biased.

 Jimmy Harris - doUble eXposure        If all double exposures were this sucessful we would all ask for shutters which worked twice for each frame !  This is a good picture taken from the rear of a train I assume, which is well framed by the window opening.  The track work gives a great feeling of depth, together with the building on the left.  The mountains receede very well due to their blue colour fronted by the black hills, and are great.  Then add the second exposure, this gives added interest to the snowy areas.

Howard Leigh - Daniel loves yoghurt....        I bet his mom loves this.  Obviously a snap shot, in the best meaning of the word. A good portrait of a child, which, I think, could be slightly improved by dulling down the grey and white stripes of the chair he is sitting in, in particular the near 'vertical' edge stripes.

Christopher Strevens - As it used to be        Again, not my kind of picture.  Probably a very good shot to record the days of yesterday, but it does not evoke any atmosphere for me.  I think it would be improved by the removal of the towel and towel rack from the left hand side, this distracts from the main centre of the picture, i.e. the sink.

Peeter Vissak - Madonna with the Child        A very nice 'atmospheric' shot of mother and child.  The near monochrome quality of the majority of hte picture is good, with just the heads and hands in 'colour'.  The simple composition adds strength to the picture, and the soft focus effect is well used.  The subdueing of the woman's left hand (bottom of picture) is good as otherwise it would have been a significant distraction.
I would like to see a larger, un-compressed copy of this picture.

Pini Vollach - Monk        A great study in white, with touches of bold colour in the subject.  The composition of this picture is good, and the monk is placed nicely on a horizontal third.  He is though, on about the middle from top to bottom, but this I think makes the picture, as the textures in the stonein particular in the steps in the front of the picture and the splash of blue sky augment his position.  The remainder of the picture i.e. the monastry, is nicely rendered, with sufficient detail in the carving to define the location, and the blue/grey of the white stopping the background becoming a total 'white out'.
The light through the sun shade and reflected from the white stone has enabled the monk's features to be recorded and seen, and his clothing to be rendered in colour.

Richard Wrigley - Le Havre Church Tower        This is my picture, so I am bound to be biased so I do not comment.

Richard.
"I have yet to see any problem, however complicated, which when looked at in
the right way, did not become still more complicated"
Poul Anderson

Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.

Upgrade Your Email - Click here!