F1.8 vs F1.4 (The return)

Olá!

My english is not the best, so believe me when i say that it was not my intention to break any of the forum rules. I 'm really sorry, however you could saw a small smile in my face, when i saw the storm that i caused in the forum.

F1.8 VS F1.4:

i still believe that is possible to compare the two lens.

i can re-phrase the question: what is the importance of one more group of lens? - Because this is the great estructural difference. What does a SUV and a Ferrari have in commun? They satisfay different needs.

Do i have the same picture shooting with the F1.8 or with the F1.4, at the same aperture?- I don't thing so. I 'm not asking which is a better picture.

Thank you Bob Talbot. I will make my own test, but i allready know that's allmost impossible to see the difference at desarmed- eye. It's necessary lab. equipment for the task. Just because you can't see, it doesn't means that there is no better lens.

My own opinion:

I believe F1.8 is a better lens. But, this is not based on science, on facts. it's the difference between "to like" and to  have a "value judgement", that is based on rational thoughts ( like Descartes said).

In lens history, in a certain period of time, there were a speed lens race (it also happened with the cameras- the record is for olympus). At that time, speed meant less time of exposure and more portability. It doesn't means quality of image. The amazing F1.2 and F1.4 speed lens are a product of that time.They compromise a lot of things. F1.4 has problems of distorction, flare, sharpness and so on. It's cousin F1.2 is even worst. despite that, i give 4 (on 5)stars to the f1.4.

The winner is f 1.8 ...in sunny days...

Até breve ( in portuguese, that means enjoy life taking great pictures)

Rui Noronha

www.rnphotography.com

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com