Re: Firm Ware

Firmware is the built-in onboard software (that resides on hardware's flash memory)  that drives your hardware.
Update is a newer version than the one that was shipped with the original hardware.
Updating a firmware is a risky task, since [as far as I know] the process first erases the existing flash memory, then re-writes the newer version, thus this process is risky unless you know what you are doing.
hope this helps. ;)
Achal