Re: PF Exhibits on 30 APR 2005

Greetings from Norfolk UK

A great set of pictures this week.

abe

Cherry Blossom At Night.        A very nice picture, with a great feeling of depth given by the central area of the blossom appearing to come forward.  The very blue sky (background) contrasts well with the trees and blossom.

cigirgan-1

A great portrait of a man who must be a great character. One can almost read his thoughts!   A well selected background, welllout of focus adds to the portrait, and the focus appears pin sharp, a necessity in this type of picture.

cunningham

The Great Pyramid.        A great renderition of the stone, on my monitor the texture of the receeding face is lost , unless I adjust the brightness, but this is probably a factor of the monitor and its settings.  Nice to see a picture of thepyramids which is not a set of triangles.  I like the low key presentation, together with the frame, title and author's name - it finishes this one rather well

davis

early dawn over the lake.        A very nice atmospheric shot, the trees in the foreground siploetted against the lake and background, which being in a blue tone rceedes well into the distance.  The composition is simple, and the eye is drawn to the rightr hand third, near the top third, but not too strongly; it follows the thirds rule ALMOST, and this divergance is what I think helps.

lucas

good smoke       One can almost smell the fish smoking in this picture.  The near fish is well presented, the scales being clean and sharp, the second fish shows what is going on.  The detil in the fire is nicely held, not too obtrusive, and the wood of the frame holding the fish is beautifully pictured.  The background, where it exists,  is a nice 'smoky' colour, well in keeping with the subject.

mulholland

Beam & Motes        A nice, almost abstract, composition.  The colours are great, and the shaft of light falling on (What) is a strong diagonal.The texture of the 'orange' areas is nice, reminescant of a lump of wood that has been torn from a tree in a storm.  The corners are nicely subdued and the overall effe ct is of a cavern lit by a beam of light at mid day.

nod        A great portrait, even though the photographer says the 'sitter' was asleep.  I just wish I could do as well sometimes.  I can say no more, and hope the 'sitter' likes her picture.

small

Paper barnyard        This picture just grabs me.  It must have been a temptation to go to the other side of the wire netting to take the picture, but the effect of the mesh is great.  It brings back thoughts of disney type filsms, and visits to the zoo.  The composition of the grafiti was just right, together with the colours, and the wire mesh gives the impression of a weird imaginary zoo cage with mithical animals contained.  I am assuming that what I have said ref. its source is correct.

spurlock

Child in Jacmel, Haiti        Another great portrait, can one say more, or less ?  Great liquid eyes, an 'I am lost'  _expression_ on the face, an interesting jumper and a suitably plain background, with just a touch of the 'abroad' about it.  This could also (without detraction from the picture) be used in a charity poster for children.

vissak        Reminds me of the book and film 'Lord of the Rings' - an interesting study of wood, which could suit some as a picture, but does not do a lot for me - well taken and presented, but not my scene.

All the best to all who take pictures and are brave enough  to show them for comment,

Richard.
"I have yet to see any problem, however complicated, which when looked at in
the right way, did not become still more complicated"
Poul Anderson

Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.