Re: Flash guide number conversion info.

Bob:

> Joseph
>
> Does your ambient lightmeter also have a FlashMeter?

I am not currently working with one. Which one would you suggest ? Is
Minolta a good brand to use or are there better ones ? I would like to work
with one that would also read the color temperature and maybe even analyze
the spectral power distribution to determine how the studio lights compare
to natural daylight. Can you make any recommendations ?

> If so do a quick empiracle test, assuming you can get access to studio
> lights and possibly a studio flash of known power (Joules) output.
>
> Take an ambient reading with the lights on a known setting (full)
> Take a flash reading with a studio flash on full at a measured
> distance

Since the flashes or strobes usually fire for only a fraction of a second,
how can you read the measurement from the lightmeter ? Can it be set to
"run" continuously and then produce a graph that would show the the
variation during the time the flash was discharged ? How would this
measurement be performed ?

> You have enough info there to create your own conversions.
>

> As Karl stated: guide-number to power depends on a lot of things, not
> the least of which is reflector design.  Next is understanding the
> difference between quantitative measurements of "light" and those of
> radiant energy.  Two units could consume equal power (watts) yet
> produce wildly different amount of visible LIGHT.  The fraction of
> energy emitted as UV/IR instead of light  for instance.   Reflector
> design of course means that in one case the light emitted could go in
> all directions, in another be in a highly focussed collimated beam.
>
> Bob

Thank you very much Bob for your help and the helpful recommendations.

Warm regards,

Joseph

--
Dr. Joseph Chamberlain, D.D.S.