Re: f1.8 versus f1.4 question

I have no idea which lens is the better of the two but since you have both why not shoot them at the apertures you're concerned about and compare them. I'd lean towards the f/1.4 just for the extra gain in light.

Lea

----- Original Message ----- From: "Rui Noronha" <rui_noronha@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: "List for Photo/Imaging Educators - Professionals - Students" <photoforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, May 01, 2005 9:45 AM
Subject: f1.8 versus f1.4 question

hello!

here's my question:
which one is a better lens, the nikon 50 mm f.1.8 or the recently nikon 50mm f.1.4D?
I have both, and i want to sell one and keep the other.
The major difference is half-stop and one more group of lens?
The quality of construction is similar. It's to use in manual-focus (the ship of distance mesure is indiferent).
I heard that the 50 mm f.1.4D causes great distortion at F16/ F2.8/ F2/ F1.4. And is less sharpness.
can you give me your opinion?

best regards
Rui noronha
www.rnphotography.com