RE: Compressed Raw

Hi, this is correct about Nikon D-70, it compresses de RAW files. But it’s a non-degrading compression, nothing related to JPEG compression. It means that those RAW compression does not affects in any way the final image quality.

JPG, MPEG, MP3, OOG … etc. are all degrading-type compression techniques. The final result shows imperfections when looked very near (or heard paying lot of attention)

LZW, ZIP, RAR, Compressed-TIFF … etc are all NON-degrading-type compressiong techniques. The final result shows EXACTLY the same digital data you can see if it weren’t compressed.

I don’t know exactly, but I bet that the kind of internal compression Nikon uses on its RAW files is one kind of LZW.

I don’t know anything about Nikon D100

Llorenç Herrera Aznar

http://www.lorenzoherrera.com

http://www.fotopunto.com