Re: Web Page Info

--- Russell Baker <rebphoto@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> At the risk of sounding like a complete idiot......
> (hmmmm...that never seemed to bother me in the past)
> Doesn't one have to register a domain name (?) someplace.
> And then one has to get a host.
> What exactly is the proper order to do this in?

You don?t have to have a domain name, but it makes giving out your web
address a lot easier. The domain name and the hosting are separate,
although some companies will do both. Domain names, as far as I know
are not free but they inexpensive. I use directNIC.com and have a few
domains registered with them. Last time I registered they were $15 a
year. I only have one hosted, and the others are just re-routed. For
instance, www.frame-destination.com just gets re-routed to
www.framedestination.com If you have no hosting at all they will put up
some sort of ?coming soon? combined with some ad for themselves I
think. Domain name companies now have a new secure or lock feature. Be
sure to find that and turn it on. There was a recent change to
regulations, which allow a domain name to be taken if you do not
respond to an email within a few days. Email is not exactly what I
would call reliable so that means someone could hijack your domain
without you knowing about it.

Once you select a hosting company they will give you their hosting
information. You give that to the domain company and then they will
point your domain to your website or their own placeholder. When you
change the hosting information it can take the domain company a while
to change it, and then it has to filter through all of the name servers
on the Internet, which can take another day, or two.

You can get free hosting but they will generally run some sort of ad on
your page. The cost goes up from $0 and I have seen as high as $59 per
month. The more expensive ones offer higher connection speeds, higher
reliability, better tech support, and or other miscellaneous features
such as email or blogging. Unfortunately, you probably wont know what
you really need until it?s too late but until you jump in you will
never know. For instance, my new host supports web based email, which
can be convenient for accessing it remotely, but they also do not allow
you to upload email except within 30 minutes of having checked email.
It is an antispam feature, and not a big deal, just means I have to hit
send/receive twice sometimes. Little things like that will vary from
host to host.

Mark Rogers
Frame Destination, Inc.
http://www.framedestination.com