Re: Web Page Info

Your ISP probably offers some space on their server, maybe 10M. They will give you instruction about how to upload your pages once you've designed them. It's just an ftp to the space on their server, and not that difficult. Your web page building software probably has an ftp client built in that makes it all happen.

My web site at present consumes around 4 Megs, because my image files are very tiny, both in physical dimension and in compression. My ISP gives me 10M.

Get a domain name when you actually wish to deal with that step. It's not quite as simple as it might seem. You pay a fee annually for the name, and then you find a company with a server that you pay a monthly fee to use space there. There are a skillion options with all kinds of gimmicks, like shopping baskets, and multiple email boxes and different types of reporting about visitors.

There are many places where you can put up pages, like pBase, which I think are free. You can put up a page on Yahoo, on AoHell or on Tripod as well. Some of these free sites have bad deals in their contracts, like they claim your copyright in exchange for giving you the free space, or they expect to be able to use your pages, or images, in their advertising.
--
Emily L. Ferguson
mailto:elf@xxxxxxxx