To: "List for Photo/Imaging Educators - Professionals - Students" <photoforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, March 23, 2005 10:11 PM
Subject: RE: Fill flash

Richard,

A question: What is the white handerkchief trick?

And some input: Some modern cameras also decide on when to use the flash as
a main light source, or for fill, according to the ambient light levels.

Regards,
Veli Izzet

Hi Marilyn:

   The basic principle of fill flash is to set your exposure
in the camera for the ambient light, taking care to use a
shutter speed that will sync with the flash. Then you adjust
the OUTPUT of the flash to give you the amount of fill you
want. The operative word here is "output". This is the way I
explain it to my students.

   If it's a modern camera and a dedicated flash, you can
accomplish that via the Flash Compensation feature on the
camera. If it's an older non-dedicated model, like the
Vivitar 283, you can put the flash in Auto and select a mode
that is one or two stops wider than what the camera lens is
actually set at, as you mentioned. I did this for years when
I was a PJ. However, I don't think this latter procedure will
work with a dedicated flash.

   The white handkerchief trick works well as long as the
flash is not in some auto mode. On some flashes, you can set
the ISO one or two stops higher that what the camera is
functioning at.

   I'm sure you know all this, Marilyn, but I know from
experience that strobe usage is one of the most difficult
things for students to comprehend. My approach is to
concentrate on a simple "how-to" procedure; less on theory. Good luck!

                                                   Richard

Richard Martin specializes in Cityscape
and Waterscape stock photography.
E-mail: marphoto@xxxxxxxxx
Web: http://www.marphoto.com
Web: http://www.poetographycreations.com

-- No virus found in this incoming message. Checked by AVG Anti-Virus. Version: 7.0.308 / Virus Database: 266.8.0 - Release Date: 21.03.2005