To: "List for Photo/Imaging Educators - Professionals - Students" <photoforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, March 23, 2005 1:42 PM
Subject: Re: Fill flash

--- Marilyn <marilyn@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Thank you for your help.   The confusion comes when I try to
tell the class that you set your lens for - say, f11 at 125 of
a seconds, but you set your flash unit for f5.6 for instance.
 It sounds easy enough to those familiar with cameras and
flash units, but to beginners, this seems like a hopeless
puzzle.   Is there any way I can visually explain this to
students?  (I've shown them the settings, adjustments on a
flash unit, but confusion still reigns.)

For instance, when explaining aperture settings different
sized funnels with sand pouring through them can be used (the
sand being the light that passes through the lens).

I have suggested that for now, when shooting outside cutting
the light coming from the flash can be accomplished by
physically placing a white handkerchief over the flash unit,
the photojournalist's trick of rotating the flash head
straight up then attaching a white card behind the flash (not
all flash units can be rotated up) or stepping back from your
subject, etc.

Maybe the concept of fill flash is just something that takes
time to comprehend.

Thank you, again.

Marilyn

Hi Marilyn:

  The basic principle of fill flash is to set your exposure in
the camera for the ambient light, taking care to use a shutter
speed that will sync with the flash. Then you adjust the OUTPUT
of the flash to give you the amount of fill you want. The
operative word here is "output". This is the way I explain it to
my students.

  If it's a modern camera and a dedicated flash, you can
accomplish that via the Flash Compensation feature on the
camera. If it's an older non-dedicated model, like the Vivitar
283, you can put the flash in Auto and select a mode that is one
or two stops wider than what the camera lens is actually set at,
as you mentioned. I did this for years when I was a PJ. However,
I don't think this latter procedure will work with a dedicated
flash.

  The white handkerchief trick works well as long as the flash
is not in some auto mode. On some flashes, you can set the ISO
one or two stops higher that what the camera is functioning at.

  I'm sure you know all this, Marilyn, but I know from
experience that strobe usage is one of the most difficult things
for students to comprehend. My approach is to concentrate on a
simple "how-to" procedure; less on theory. Good luck!

                                                  Richard

Richard Martin specializes in Cityscape
and Waterscape stock photography.
E-mail: marphoto@xxxxxxxxx