Re: Another B&W printing question

Kostas,

Yes there is.  I had a flash exposure meter with a fitting so it exposed
only through a small hole under the enlarger.  Having sold the unit I have
to comment from memory.

You can calibrate the unit (using the old fashioned test strips), but after
that put the meter in a light area and you would know the exposure to get
full black.

There was also an option, using some filter settings (I think yellow was one
mentioned) and you could compare the light in the dark and bright areas,
calculate the ratio,  then looking up a scale, determine the contrast grade
to use.

Never actually played with it for pictures though.  Usually look at neg and
guess (from experience) the grade setting to use.  And still do test strips.

I believe there are a number of commercial instruments for determining
exposure under the enlarger.

Think I have seen the type of filter wheel you mention, but that requires a
test sheet.  But only one exposure is needed, as the shades of gray
effectively do the test strip exposures.  It giveds the results of different
exposure times and just select best segment and set timer as for that.

Hope this helps.

Jim Thyer
Australia.