Re: CD vrs DVD

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dan C"

: What about lengevity issues?  If properly stored, which of DVDs or CDs
will
: last longer?

I went through this exercise some time back, here's a bit of info I came up
with..

It seems there are two separate issues with CD's DVD's regarding how safe
they are for storage - compatibility and reliability.  Compatibility is a
fairly important issue, but nothing like reliability - even though on the
surface people often seem to mix the two up.  If a CD-R or DVD+R doesn't
work in a machine often it's assumed the disks are no good whether they are
or are not, and when people achieve a successful burn that they can read
back afterwards they assume reliability - again a false assumption.

Reliability is more a numbers game relating to the number of errors, but
not just the errors inevitably written or read from a disk at the time it
was burnt but more - do more errors develop over time?

Part of the error related issues goes back to the dyes used to record the
information.

In a recent discussion someone was suggesting that they only used TDK's, my
suggestion that another brand might actually provide better security was
met with the sort of scorn only edu-marketing hype can instil in someone,
so I had a bit of a look around to see what dyes were used in manufacturing
various disks..

the most durable dye, PhthaloCyanine, used in Princo's and many other
makers too, but I found the TDK's listed were using cyanine dye(what!!!) -
the worst dye of the lot for longevity - and they use this in the disks
that they *guarantee for 100 years* even though the dye has through testing
shown to have an expected survival period of around 10 years.  Now not all
the TDK disks were made with this cheaper dye, but hey, something funny
going on here :-/  Sounds like the marketing department has it all over the
engineers!

The other thing that was very strongly related to failure rates is the
reflective surface used and how it is protected.  CD's and DVd's have a
shiny coating of silver, aluminium or once upon a time gold against which
the laser bounces the light back to the reader/writer.  If this layer dulls
or is damaged, so long data!  Aluminium is most often used for it's high
reflectance but it is also highly reactive and needs protection from the
elements.  A badly coated or damaged backing WILL in time allow the
reflective layer to corrode.  Even silver eventually is attacked by oxygen
and moisture and again, damage results, even stresses such as flexing a
disk can cause the reflective layer to shift, delaminate or draw in air..
again, damage will be the end result.  If this reflective layer was
sandwiched in between something more stable then the chances of the
reflector suffering damage or corrosion is reduced - enter the DVD - same
as a CD really but with a closer groove but with an additional
polycarbonate sandwiched to the back for added dimensional stability and
protection :-)

regarding polycarbonates tendency for absorbing water (allowing corrosion
of the reflective layer to occur quicker) -  storing CD's and DVD's with
SilicaGel or something similar to reduce the humidity is probably a good
idea in the long run.

Finally, of course, burning them SLOW to minimise errors (and errors DO
occur on just about all burns) is a really good idea.

the error correction that takes place when reading CD's DVD's will allow
successful reads on an error riddled optical disk for quite a while before
the error count on a poorly burnt, badly stored or damaged disk goes too
high and the data becomes unreadable

My experiences (and I've burnt literally 10's of thousands of CD's and
probably 8 or 9 thousand DVD's) leads me to pick DVD's over CD's

Back to the TDK Vs Princo issue -

Years ago I bought 5 TDK Pro SAX-60 recording audio tapes for around $20
each (top dollar back then!) they've all stretched and they all wow like
crazy, they all have a hideous hiss and they all sound dreadful.

I also had a Sony moderately priced UCX-90 $6.00 tape given to me which
spent most of it's life in my hot box, matte-black charger.  it's still
crystal clear after all that abuse .. it's 23 years old now :-)

that was one of the first lessons I had in discovering $$ spent does not
equate to quality received.  Makes sense though, a company that spends
squillions on advertising probably has less to give their R&D dweebs.
Nikon learnt this same lesson in the 70's when the marketing gurus were
getting truck loads of cash to splash 'Nikon' across every available flat
surface while their lens designers were having to burn chairs for heating.
They all quit since they were PO'd that they couldn't bring any of their
innovations into production and started the Tokina company and took all the
good designs with them.

I think the *best* way to resolve the which disk brand /type is best
question is to check the error count on the various disks available and
then treat the results as a guide*.  Compatibility is NOT a good guide to
reliability, only the error count gives a true indication of fallibility.

*like film, every batch is different and because one review says their lot
tested good doesn't mean the batch I buy tomorrow are also going to be as
good

The burners themselves can be responsible for disastrous burns too, not
just the disks.  My first LiteOn burner was a pig (I discovered later down
the track).  It burnt away happily and gave me lots of shiny disks which
read fine for ages, then the burner blew up. I bought another and found
NONE of those original disks were readable.. in ANY OTHER BURNER

I moved to an LG burner for the DVD RAM capability and because I've had the
least errors both in compatibility and reliability of the resulting burns.
I've been through 2 pioneers and 3 LG DVD burners now, both have been good
but I'd go the LG - hey, DVD RAM -  :-)

For those interested in actually testing their disks rather than trusting
reviews or references there's a few tools to use:

kprobe:
from http://www.cdrlabs.com/kprobe/index.php

(2.1Mb download)
allows you to test dvd's by looking at the errors on the disks.

and http://www.dvdinfopro.com/

The program provides information & tools for

DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW burners, DVD+R DL (Double Layer) burners, DVD-ROM
players
It also provides information on CD players & burners.

Current version v3.52 17/02/2005

http://www.dvd-recordable.org/wwwimgs/media/flash/dvdinfopro/dvdinfoproadve
rt.zip
Free Version with embedded adverts 1.59meg.

www.DVDrecordable.org - a good site for reviews on optical media and drives

outcomes and experiences of testing have been listed here:
http://www.videohelp.com/dvdmedia
princo AND TDK DVD's (and others) scored a GOOD rating, interestingly there
are substantially more user comments, most very good, on Princo than the
nest nearest commented upon brand..  297 V 74 comments

seems that the reviewers also get to state how many disks they've burned
too - some of the reviewers have burnt a mere  _single_  disk on which
they've based their reports - the Princo brigade however all seem to have
burnt 25, 100, 50 etc .

from CDMedia world - the gos' on TDK's.. some of which are even MADE by TDK
<!?>
http://www.dvdmediaworld.com/hardware/cdrom/tdk.shtml

and other brands..
http://www.dvdmediaworld.com/hardware/cdrom/dvd_info.shtml