Re: Relative magnification factors made simple

> So now we all know that a 50mm lens is actually ANY focal length,
7.8mm,
> 90mm or whatever and the old constraints that held back our
creativity have
> been blown away like old dust that dared settled on our new ipod® -
we are
> now free - go forth and rejoice!

karl

You can only scale down (in format size) not up because of the very
real limitation of the size of the image circle formed by a lens.

A Canon EOS lens designed for film (allows the wave portion of light
through) has an image circle that covers the 35mm frame.  A 100mm
version of such a lens on an APS-C sensor camera truly becomes 160mm.
On an 8x10 camera however it remains 100mm simply becasue there is no
more usable image.

A "digital" lens however (designed to allow only the particulate
component of light to pass) is not constrained by the same laws of
physics, only the laws of the marketplace.

Go buy your iPod.  Concentrate on taking photos and sharing them.
Learn that it is the sharing that really counts after all.

Bob