Re: A question about ownership of an image

You are quite right that "In the US the photographer has the
rights to the photograph, ..."

However. it is my understanding that is definitely NOT true
if the pictures are taken on a "work for hire" basis. If the
pictures are done on a specific "work for hire" basis, and
that is agreed to before the taking of the pictures, then
all copyright(s) remains with the artist. The artist should
be very careful to have an agreement that states
specifically that

(1) The pictures are being taken on a "work for hire" basis,
and

(2) The copyright of all items, the original artwork, AND
the photographic images, is retained by the artist, and

(3) The artist should insist that all images, including
prints, digital files, negatives, transparencies,and all
test versions of the aformentioned  be delivered to the
artist. In other words, unless a prior agreement is made,
the photographer shall not retain *any* materials after the
photographic session is complete (unless that is the
specific desire of the artist to have the photographer
maintain an "archive" for him/her).

The key phrase is "work for hire." It has a specific meaning
in the copyright field.