Re: Rich's Gallery Review

Rich, you and I disagree quite fundamentally about
urban parks.  I like them.  They are good.  And
necessary.  We can't all afford to join you in your
wanderings through unspoiled wilderness.

Imagining St. Louis without Forest Park, New York
without Central Park, Cincinnati without Eden Park, or
Charlottesville without McIntire Park is something I'd
prefer not to do.

> Please explain what you mean by "a reflection of a
> democratic vision that we seem to be losing."

Forest Park is a public good.  It was built during a
time when we (Americans) believed that some of our
wealth should be spent on good things, pleasing things
that would serve everyone, rich and poor.

One can hardly imagine America in 2005 building such a
thing--such a vast and wonderful park that serves
everyone (and charges no admission)--with public
money.  (Not just parks, either.  Can you imagine
Americans in 2005 supporting public libraries if we
didn't already have them?)

Our public spaces are increasingly private spaces,
even when, like shopping malls and sports stadiums,
they depend on tax dollars for their very existence.

--John

=====
J Mason
Charlottesville, Virginia

>>Jazz at UVA: The Photographs of John Mason.  From 31 January
2005 at Take It Away, 115 Elliewood Ave., Charlottesville, VA:
http://www.virginia.edu/music/jazzatuva/

http://www.people.virginia.edu/~ds8s/john-m/john-m.html