Rich's Gallery Review

Rich writes, interestingly, about Forest Park:

>It's one of those urban parks where they claim it
>to be "an integrated ecosystem where humans and
>nature interact."

Yeah, yeah, that's PR, Rich.  No basis on which to
judge the park itself.

>I see it as one of those places where the landscape
>is managed to the point where it doesn't really
>feel natural....  It's one of the  totally
un-natural,
>natural places we humans are so fond of creating....

Actually, you don't see it.  You've never been there.
The point of the park is to use it.

The park, of course, is not "natural" and nobody
seriously pretends that it is.  It is, however, a
magnificent public space--a reflection of a democratic
vision that we seem to be losing.

People--literally tens of thousands of them in any
given year--use it in a stunning variety of ways.

Forest Park is large enough to provide a quiet place
to escape the city, if that's what you want to do.
It's a terrific place for a family BBQ, which is
something very many St. Louis families want do on a
summer's afternoon.  In winter, there's ice skating.
All year long, there's biking and jogging.  It
contains a fine art museum, one of the country's most
notable zoos, and a spectacular outdoor theater.  In
all seasons, the architecture--building and landscape
architecture--is gorgeous.

>I can imagine someone driving their 5 iron through
>here.

Absolutely.  Plenty of people do.  That's the point.
It ain't supposed to be Big Sur.

--John

=====
J Mason
Charlottesville, Virginia

>>Jazz at UVA: The Photographs of John Mason.  From 31 January
2005 at Take It Away, 115 Elliewood Ave., Charlottesville, VA:
http://www.virginia.edu/music/jazzatuva/

http://www.people.virginia.edu/~ds8s/john-m/john-m.html