Re: rips

RIP is an acronym for Raster Image Processor. Without technicalities (which I am not qualified to go into anyway...), the important aspect here is that it is a very capable printer driver that can control the amounts of ink used for a specific tone very closely, and thus follow a colour profile very closely. The one I was referring to (QTR) controls B/W printing by stopping the printer from using any yellow ink at all (normally an inkljet makes middle grey tones by mixing yellow, magenta, and cyan inks; since the yellow ink looks different under daylight and artificial light, such a print will display strange colour shifts in different lighting, which is metamerism). QTR uses black and grey inks only, adjusting warmth with minute "splashes" of magenta or cyan.

Of course a full-fledged RIP does a lot more than this, but again this would lead too far. You can Google for "raster image processor" (don´t Google for "rip"; the result will drive you nuts...).

Well, wasn´t that a mouthful for Christmas Day? I feel I´ve just deserved some Stilton and port by now; I wish all list members some similar way to round off the day..

Per Öfverbeck
http://foto.ofverbeck.se