Re: Fate of Silver Gelatin Paper

>I agree Bob, this thread is starting to get argumentative...however, and
>I'm not trying to be snitty, but your points (and they are good ones) represent
>a level of opportunity and education that is accessible only to the privileged
>few in these nations.
I can only guess at what fraction of the population in the "developing countries"
have access to photography.  As you say below, it requires not only money,
but time and inclination. Or perhaps we could look at it another way and
say "If we *had a life* we wouldn't need to get obsessive about having the
latest version of 'whatever'. "

Its my belief though (right or wrong) that digital "just about everything"
relies on a level of sophistication in the background technological infrastructure
that all but rules out independance from international megacorps.  There
is no "cottage industry" possible for repairing the chips on digital cameras
-  they can't be repaired with a screwdriver.  Everything moves towards
paying the likes of MS etc whatever tithe they deem fit for ever more.
The digital reveolution will only give us freedom for as long as those who
contol it allow it ;o)

Of course, you are better placed to say what's going on on the ground: perhaps
you are right, those that can't access digital may not have been able to
access traditional photography either.

>Such markets only exist on a mail order basis.  Such
>activity requires, not only money, but literacy, facility, and available
>time.
Well, if you can't read the manual ... what chance do you have of downloading
the PDFs ...

FREE weekend phone calls! NO monthly fee, NO contract!

http://www.tiscali.co.uk/services/smarttalk/?StartupCode=OL063&srccode=COD_563