Re: Help With Banquet Pictures

Tim,

Walter has made some good suggestions and I'll add a few more.

Understand that there are many ways to do this job...some more right
than others and some more expensive than others...but many that will
work just fine.

Firstly, light reflects off a surface at the same angle it strikes so if
you stand directly in front of the fireplace wall your flash will bounce
back at you. However, if you stand at a bit of an angle to the wall the
light will ricochet off and go away from your camera. You can ever so
slightly angle your subjects while still having them placed neatly in
front of the fireplace wall. Keep this information front and center in
your mind. No matter what lighting setup you use, keep yourself at an
angle to that wall.

To test this in action, photograph yourself in a mirror or facing a
window using flash and move yourself around in an arc from straight-on
to 45 degrees.

And actually, it isn't the brass of the fireplace that's your biggest
problem, it's the polished wood that is going to give you some grief.
The people will cover the fireplace with their bodies.

Shoot on a tripod and open to something like 1/45 to allow the ambient
light to make an impression in addition to your flash light...that will
help add some mood to the images. The flash will freeze your subjects.

The super easy solution to this shoot is to keep your flash on your
camera, put a diffuser on it (like a Stofen), make darn certain you are
at an angle to that wall and fire away. I think you'd be amazed at how
nice your images will look doing this simiple setup.

The cheapest way to solve your dilemna is to get an off-camera shoe cord
which is a piece of equipment allowing your flash to be off your camera
but still operate as though it were attached. Using this cord mount your
flash (there are adapters to do this) on a light stand just to the right
or left of yourself. (In my diagram I'd assume you hve the light to
photographer left.) Use a Soften diffuser or some such diffuser on the
flash head to spread the light out and make it softer. You might carry
along a rather large white board or reflector panel to kick some light
back in from the side opposite the flash just to act as fill. You could
use an umbrella with your flash instead of a diffuser but this uses lots
of battery power.

Obviously renting a strobe is the more expensive, more professional way
to go but it really isn't necessary. The one thing studio lights have
going for them is that they plug in and you don't have to worry about
keeping your batteries charged and fresh; a concern if you are shooting
lots and lots of kids.

I'm not sure, given your lack of experience with studio lighting, that
this is the best time for you to begin using them. But if you go that
route, it's pretty fool-proof if you use an umbrella near camera
position and up high. Umbrellas give good even, broad light that is very
flattering. Don't forget to rent a flash meter as well.

I've drawn a photo of the set-up and the angle I'm speaking of and put
it on my website. This should help you visualize what I mean when I say
to put yourself and your subjects at an angle to that wall.
http://www.whinydogpress.com/flashdiagram.html

This diagram will serve you no matter what lighting you use...on camera,
flash on stand or studio lights. Keep your subjects away from the wall
to avoid their shadow falling on it. Keep yourself and the lights at an
angle and you'll be fine.

No matter what lighting set-up you end up going with I would mark the
floor with tape where you want your subjects and where you want
yourself. In a best case scenario you'll have your camera on a tripod
and never move it. If you think you'll have to move it then mark the leg
spots with tape so you can reposition it correctly.

How close do you live to Kansas City? You'd be more than welcome to
borrow my studio lights and I've even throw in a lesson!

If you have questions don't hesitate to ask,
Lea