Help With Banquet Pictures

Good Afternoon:

Several weeks ago, I posted a message asking for help with an upcoming shoot that I will be doing for the school I teach at. I will be taking the Homecomming banquet portraits for the students, and then taking orders and fulfiling them. Many of you offered great suggestions about generalized techniques and other items I asked about. I recently had a chance to visit the facility where we will be having the banquet, and I shot some pictures of the area where I will be taking the portraits. The pictures are posted at http://www.w8tah.us/Photography/banq/index.html .

The gear that I have available to me is as follows

Nikon D70
Sigma 70-300 f4 - 5.6 Zoom
Sigma 28 - 70 f2.8 - 4 zoom
Promaster Flash - FTD 5200
Sunpack Auto 555 thyristor flash

I am mostly concerned at this moment with proper lighting, I can probably rent a 1000 watt/second 2 light system from my local pro camera store - 2 strobes, umbrellas (silver and white) stands slaves etc. But I have never used this type of a system, and I am not familiar with using studio strobes, nor really with doing portraiture, as I am mostly a sports and landscape photographer. I also need suggestions on posing, most of the students will be friendly couples, with a few serious dating relationships in the mix.

Any suggestions that you can offer, or advice, would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for all your time and help

Tim

Timothy A. Holmes
Fine Light Photography