Re: PF Exhibits on 24 OCT 04 -- Better late than never (well that's debatable)

Dear Colleagues,

Some time ago one of our esteemed colleagues offerred a marvelous format for photographic review. I promised to use it.

Well, I've been looking at the images for a week now, and looking at that bloody form tying to figure out how I can keep my promise.

And keep it I must. My public are always clamoring for more of my views so that they will know what to think. They keep telling me things like:

"Tell us what you _really_ think UnBob"
"Just what we need, another opinion from UnBob"
"Not that you have an opinion on that UnBob"

And with that, it is clear that I must again pleasure you with my not insubstantial opinions.

Rather than copy the form for each image, here it is once, the responses to all the points will be given for each photograph.

A. WHAT? How is the primary visual impact produced? What is the main thing you notice. Use description.

B, 1. What are subject matter and image reasons for the primary impact?

B, 2. What are FORMAL design reasons for the primary visual impact? What are the main formal causes of this effect(s)? How do lines, shapes, tones, volumes, textures, patterns, sizes, and their interactions effect the viewer's response? What about the relationships, repetitions, and placements of the elements? Analyze cause and effect. How? Why?

C, 1. WHY? Speculate about the intentions of the photographer. Why would this photo be made? How would it be used?

C, 2. Why do you think so? What is it about the photo that gives this idea? Site the evidence.

D. CREATIVITY?
What do you see as the most innovative and creative aspects of the photo?

E.  MEANING?
Interpret meanings and symbolism you can speculate about.

F. TECHNIQUE?
1. What are your questions about the light quality? (Light direction and quality--not exposure)
2. What are your questions about camera angle?
3. What are your questions about framing and cropping? Explain.
4. What are your questions about depth of field and focus?
5. What are your questions about contrast?
6. What are your comments or questions about print tone? (Would you print lighter or darker)
7. What are your comments or questions about the need to burn in or dodge parts?
8. What are your questions about blemishes (stains, dust, etc.)?

9.  What are your questions about mounting and presentation?

10.  Any other comment or question?

Anyone interested in reading the original can go here http://www.goshen.edu/~marvinpb/photocrit.htm

ADavidhazy wrote:

The PhotoForum members' gallery/exhibit space was updated OCT 24 04. Authors with work now on display at http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery.html include:

Greg Fraser - Wildflower

A The primary visual impact is produced by placing a hilighted background behind the darker and most detailed part of the The main thing I notice is the contrast between the spiney cetre of the flower and the smooth petals

B1 It's a flower. I don't think the image reasons at all, but the photographer clearly did and reasoned wuite well.

B2 I may be a man of letters, But I'm already sick of this bloody review method! Who in their right mind would ask someone to complete even 1 of these for love? But 12?!?! What was I thinking? You'd have to pay me to do this. It could cover pages!

I like this image and I have since I first looked at it. My initial concern was that the petals are too dark. In my mind I think that they should be a shade or so lighter. Oh, and your border -- well done. Simple and not distracting.

Peeter Vissak - Traffic light

I think you're just after opium et? I think they're the wrong poppies though. I love the vibrant red and the relatively muted colours in the rest of the scene. Pity about the car though :-) Once again, minus the car please!

Deen Hameed - Hatta Mountains

I've got to say that this shot is about 55% great. I'd take the top 55% of it and make an image that has a lot more impact -- but hey, I'm just a wedding photographer who doesn't do weddings any more. Oh, the border looks kinda fuzzy or something on the right side -- KISS

Achal Pashine - John Muir Woods National Park, CA

This I kinda like. A bit of a shame about the railing on the left -- it's a bit mich to crop off. Nice simple border (I had one once, but she didn't pay her rent, so I got rid of her)

Emily L. Ferguson - Survivors

I'm not moved by this at all. I can't even say why. I usually dislike drop shadow boarders, but this doen't take too much from the image. I guess it's because the image is sort of gray, or maybe it's because I don't really feel much about the image in the first place.

Jeff Spirer - Boxer

This is *really* nice. Another one of my favorites over the week. I'm not sure I've got anything remotely negative to say about it. Great lighting, well framed... just great.

Leslie Spurlock - Gonaives Flood, Haiti

OK, this is something different. As "art" (whatever that is) I don't like it. Bu as I've been looking at this over the past week, I can't help but feel for the people who have had to cope with natural disaster like this. I also don't see people waiting for handouts, I see evidence of life going on. I feel both sadness for what's happened, but also resolve to carry on. This has lot's of impact for (and on) me.

Jim Davis - Little Grebe

After the previous image, this is really serene. Thanks. Jim, you really do this well, don't you?

Pini Vollach - C R A P

Hmmmm, I'm torn between thinking this is a serious image, or Pini pulling our leg. If it's art (and hey, even a dead rat dipped in resin is art to some) then it's not speaking to me.

Veli Cigirgan - Jerusalem, Old City

Aaah! A much less rubbishy presentation. This is another image I've enjoyed this week.

Howard Leigh - Teenage Dreams

Hmmm, a girl dreaming of boobies. Well that's (kinda) what I think when I look at this. An interesting shot, but not interesting enough to make me want to keep looking at it.

Marilyn Dalrymple - Now, where is that lens she wants?

Watch out she doesn't pee on a lens! It *really* kills lenses. I've actually quite liked this image all this week. :-)

Hmmm, ratings....

My top 4 are Leslie, Jeff, Veli, Jim, and Greg.  (shoot me, I can't count)

I don't think I would have put Leslie's shot in the top 4 if I hadn't looked at it for a week and thought about it.

Best,
UnBob

p.s. If you read this far -- wow!