Re: Fw: Suggestions and Recomendations needed

Hi Tim,

	To keep it in line with your original requirements, dialing in compensation won't be any use obviously, as you will shooting in manual mode.

	Shooting portraits with flat(ish) lighting, you need not worry about exceeding the sensor's latitude. When you review the histogram you will find that the pixels only occupy about 1/2 the total area, with a decent taper.

	You just need to adjust your aperture until that little 'hill' is pushed as much to the right as you can, WITHOUT cutting off too much of the taper.

	If you wish, you can review the blinkies with the D70, which shows the bits the camera thinks are clipped, but the D70 is very conservative with the blinkies, and will show perfectly fine parts of the image as clipped... In any case, the histogram is much easier way to meter things.

	I'd second David's comment about reading the histogram.

Best regards,
Deen
2004-10-20 12:57:10

--
Deen Hameed
0405 649 101 deenhameed@xxxxxxxxxxxx

At 2004-10-19, 22:50:04 lea (lea@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:

>Your histogram gives you information about the tonal range in your
>images. Keep the tones within the length of the histogram axis and
>you'll be fine but if it shoots off either side you'll lose data that
>you can never retrieve. Certainly you've taken shots where the whites
>were blown out, pull one up on your computer or shoot one on purpose,
>and look at the histogram in camera or in Photoshop. See how it is
>clipped on the right side? The highlight data in that image will never
>be salvagable...it's blown. The same is true of clipping shadows but
>that isn't considered by many to be as bad because we don't expect to
>see detail in shadow areas.
>
>If your highlights are clipping underexpose your image until they are no
>longer clipping (dial in -1/3 stop or so, check it as it may require
>more) and fire away. You will be able to brighten the image back up in
>Photoshop and the best part is that you'll have data in your highlights.
>
>I shoot with the Canon 10D and in my histogram window the blown areas
>flash black on the actual image so they are very easy to see.
>
>Lea

___ END OF QUOTED TEXT ___