RE: The great debate

Marilyn,

Charles Sheeler is a very good example to use.

BTW there is a Sheeler show at the Detroit Institute of Art now.
http://www.dia.org/

Another is Ben Shahn.  Sheeler was, of course, closely associated with
Stieglitz.  In fact, a good place to start is with Stieglitz and his
band.

I think it is a mistake to ask the question "is such and such a medium"
art.  Painting isn't art any more than photography is art. What counts
are results.  Most non-abstract, two-dimensional art is informed in
some way by photography - how could it not be?  Most of our visual
experience of graphics is photographic.  I think other media can
express more than photography because they are not limited by optical
verity. If you can think it you can paint it. That is one reason
photographers are so often tempted to emulate painting or drawing.
Painters are more successful at borrowing from photography than the
other way round.

AZ

Build a Lookaround!
The Lookaround Book, 2nd ed.