Re: film users: what kind/brand/format of film do you use? why?

From/Áðü: "Pablo Coronel" pcorone@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>Agfa APX100 is still my standard for BW photgraphy, either in 35mm or 120.
>I'm testing the NEOPAN films, which seems to be very good as well, ACROS in
>Rodinal 1+50 is beautiful.
>In 35mm BW the new Agfa APX400 is a difficult film, grainy like hell and
>has a lotta contrast.
>
>In Color I'm partial to Fuji, Velvia is the best slide film since Kodachrome
>And their print film is excellent, besides is available in amny formats.
>Fuji's tend to have ultra vivid greens for outdoors photography and render
>sunsets differently than other films (specially velvia/provia)

hi!

since i am close to pablo tastes and we have discussed the subject a bit in the past i will base my reply to his:

indeed it took only a roll of APX400 to shy me away from it for the same reasons pablo states. On the other hand APX100 is superb and i have gone to pushing it at 1600 and is so good regarding grain and capturing detail and giving the texture at the shaded areas, yet contrast is a lot as should be expected..hell at this iso stills beats the 400 sibling!

Fuji is a no lose situation..especially regarding the B&W ones...fine grain and a bit particular grain(find Nikon's 2002 promo portofolio, see how many are taken with fuji film!) Though i am stocked in Across i have not shot any yet, but i use Neopan 400 and 1600 pushed for my concert shots
, though the do require 20+% more dev time than suggested.

I did not like the Kodak 3200 one, and did not had a worth commenting encounter with Ilford Delta 3200...though as some other member stated differences are in style/effect/feeling not quality...another exceprion is the Konica 1600 C41 process one, in which upon blowing up the scanning i saw unpleasing grain pattern, with "lost"/"stray" grains

HP5+ gets a plus when being pushed...i have deplendished my stock by using it for concert shots, but Tri-X failed in the same use when pushed at 1600. and i have been experimenting with a rare find APX200S a near-infrared, like the Ilford SFX200.

I also had a good experience with the Portra B&W 400...print that on KODAK "metal" paper and it is amazing in glamour shots and clouds!

Generally i have limited my choices to APX100, all the Neopans, Tri-X, and i'll buy HP5+ when no none of the above is available.

You still cannot go wrong with Fuji regarding color negs (Did you notice that the FUJI firm has only one line of films? what can be bought in the grocery store is still good for the pro too!)

Regarding slides i have no experrience with them
so...

best luck mate..
so... no matter what, CHEER UP MY FRIENDS! Life is too precious to jump the other side of the fence...
kostas papakotas / clenched teeth photography
http://groups.msn.com/clenchedteethphotography

http://www.mailbox.gr ÁðïêôÞóôå äùñåÜí ôï ìïíáäéêü óáò e-mail.
http://www.thesuperweb.gr Website ìå ÁóöáëÝò Controlpanel áðü 6 Euro êáé äþñï ôï domain óáò!