Re: digital printing & print resolution

a query out of curiosity : John-Paul wrote
>it is simply obvious you are not using enough data. I am about to print 40 x 34 inch prints with 360dpi on an Epson!

What Epson? (I use an 890 at home and 1290 at work)
What size file is that? - I make it > 500 MB in RGB
What format is it in?
What was the origin of the file? Digital camera? MF back? Scan from LF sheet film?

Are you really suggesting that only this resolution matters?

You also said that
>The optimum dpi outpt of a Ligtjet for instance is 305-400 dpi not 200-250

I've printed at 200 - 300 dpi and I really can't tell the difference. And I still think the results are better than film. Perhaps I'm going blind!

But I'm never going to print to 40 by 34 inches. I couldn't afford it.

Howard