Gallery Review 4 sept 04

Hello all,

Back again from holidays in the Swedish mountains, I´m confronted with a new, good, crop of images. Let´s see:

Pini Vollach, Eilat. Can´t make up my mind about this one. First reaction was "so what? Your drawn bedroom curtains the morning after (something)?" But I like that meandering light strip a lot, and the colours work together.

Jeff Spirer, Laundry. Very surreal, the way a true Spirer should... Chinatown, somewhere a bit off Grant obviously. Like it.

Deen Hameed, Agfa Isolette. If you´re sixtyish now, this is the type of camera that probably caught your first day at school on a small, grey-yellow contact print. How´s that for nostalgia? And, no, the f/stops weren´t click-stopped, only the shutter speeds. I can still feel it in my fingers...

Peeter Vissak, . I agree with a previous reviewer, the thumbnail hardly seemed worth clicking, but when we do, we get THIS! Very, very good! The water and the misty trees are lovely, and the structures on the small island look like some abstract sculpture, until the lighting fixtures give the clue. But, what happened to the borders?

Trevor Cunningham, Tourist Trap. Good composition, with that streak of cloud following the roof line. Still, not a place I would put on my travel wishlist, to be frank. But probably that wasn´t your intent either.

W R Gill, . Saturation on my (calibrated) screen is so high this one looks more like a Disney cartoon frame than a photograph. Apart from that, the airborne feeling is captured quite well. Would have liked even more of the shadow within the frame.

Jim Davis, Running Deer. Technically very good, only the head blends too much with the huge tree trunk. But I´m aware wildlife can´t be persuaded to pose the way we would like...

John Palcewski, Imagine. He, he, after reading Bob Rosen´s "description" of this scene, I´m afraid I just cannot see it any other way, although I suspect the man is actually part of the family. Good street photography.

Timothy Holmes, Lax Scrum. Anything but lax, I´d say. In my part of the woods, this is a very unfamiliar game, so I cannot judge whether this is "the spirit of the game" or not. Only, there seems to be good reason for the protective outfit....

UnBob UnRosen, The Old and the New. Now, some SLIGHT suspicion of JUST A LITTLE tongue-in-cheek does indeed follow some of Bob´s written contributions here, if anyone has noticed the same thing... But this photo is good! A complete accident it isn´t, not with that careful line-up of the buildings. I think it should be seen as a well-made, warm-toned print; on the screen those fine textures tend to get lost.

OK, that was the lot, I think. BTW, I see that my "wild carrot" a few weeks ago got some nice comments; a belated thank you!

Per Öfverbeck http://foto.ofverbeck.se