Spoofed addresses sending abusive msgs to list - Note from list HQ

I am not sure if this is the first instance (I don't think so)
but apparently there are automatic mail assembly programs on the
Internet that now use people's legitimate addresses to send
attachments, or just plain inappropriate, messages to others.
This just happened to the PhotoForum list. While the RIT mail
system was able to delete the attachment the subject line was
still bothersome and, you should all realize, the message was
not sent by me. The list's controlling program, however,
assumed it was from me because the sender's address appeared
OK.

I suspect this may happen possibly with some of your addreses.
This seems to be a random thing but I suspect that the more
one's email address is in circulation on the Internet the more
likely this is to happen to that person's address.

I am trying to resolve this with the helpm of the RIT Computer
Center but I don't think this can be fixed 100%.

thank you for your cooperation and understanding,

Andy

Andrew Davidhazy, andpph@xxxxxxx - PhotoForum on the Internet