Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 09:38:08 +0400
From: om1photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Introduction of a photographic program in Oman - Heads up

Hi Andy,

It has been quite some time since we communicated last; I hope everything is
going well back there in at RIT and the tech program. Things on my side are
good and things seem in place. I've been updating things and transforming many
traditional applications to digital. On the training side I've been designing
and conducting some basic shooting classes, and hoping to give advanced classes
in the future.

On the national (Oman) side I've been tasked among others to introduce a
photographic program in the higher technical college (a university college) in
Oman. We part of a committee formed to oversee and assist in launching the
program.  The program aims is to have a 2 year system (Higher National
Diploma), where after those two years the graduate is expected to be able to
run a photography laboratory (Could be traditional or more likely digital), is
a professional portrait photographer and is able to be a powerful functions
photographer.

In addition he or she should be able to perform videography and advertising
photography would be an added bonus of the graduates. We are still working in
getting the full set of requirements in the program, but the broad lines are
the one mentioned above.

In Oman we have a lack of professionalism in photography, as there are very few
pros here and many of the photographic labs are run by non- professional
non-Omani, and we are looking to get professional Omanis to take over the role
of photography, therefore we have to train and assist them in establishing
themselves. The program would run for people with a taste and interest in
photography, as well as meeting the admissions requirements. Currently the
program is fully funded by the Omani government.

After the two year program which would be fully supported and paid for by the
college, the students may pursue a BS or BA in photography in an international
institution such as RIT or Brooks. The program is expected to be accredited,
and meet international standards.

At this point of time we are designing the facilities and these facilities are
being built and expected to be ready by October 2004, where the photographic
program should start running by then.

Parallel wise we are looking for instructors that are well qualified and are
graduates of a well accredited university and hold at least a BS or BA in the
photo arena. In total there should be three to four instructors whom would be
responsible for a variety of classes and would meet criteria in one of the
fields mentioned above. Since those instructors would be the first patch they
might be needed in helping to launch and plan for the program and with their
feed back and suggestions plans may take an alternative path.

The students in the program would meet the admission criteria for the college
and English is must where a TOFEL score above 450 would be required. All
communications in the college will be in English.

There are attractive offers for the chosen candidates. I think the salary would
be between USD25K to USD40K per annum, excluding travel and accommodation
expenses which would be provided by the college. The salary granted depends on
the qualifications and experience as well as interest. It's tax free here, so
there is no income tax on whole sum. Security in Oman is excellent and it is
safe to be here and there should be no problem for an American to be a round.

Therefore I'm looking for candidates from RIT as a first step, and if you have
someone in mind with an interest to teach and of course travel and meet some
interesting people, please feel free to pass this message to them and I'd
expect an email from the interested. It will be great if someone wants to be
here for some time. I think it would be an excellent idea if someone from the
advertising or photojournalism program would able to be here too.

I'll leave this with you and appreciate any suggestions and would really love
to hear them. I'm looking forward to hearing from any candidates, males or
females of any age or ethnic group. Résumés may be sent to the address below.
We may setup the interviews at a later stage.

Thanks and have a good weekend,

Yours,

Salim Al-Habsi
Om1photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx